Wednesday, August 13, 2008

China (pronounced Chi-na)

Yesterday we went to visit Pimpollo in Jichitan. It´s like an orphanage, but people don´t adopt these kids. These kids were dropped off and abandoned, sometimes the parents come back for them, most of the time they don´t. The sight was almost too much for me to bear, unsupervised children and children who just need a little bit of love, affection and some structure in their lives. There´s too much to write about, but the one thing that I love about these kids, is that they are completely honest and have no filters. First thing they did was stare at me and asked everyone around me where I was from. I don´t think they´ve ever met someone Chinese. They couldn´t understand that I was American and Chinese. Americans can be Chinese too, hmmmm....I can see how that can get confusing for kids, but then I thought, it can be confusing for adults too. So this post is about traveling to other countries as an Asian American. I´ve always struggled with identifying myself with being American and Chinese. This experience makes me think more about it. Good, bad, indifferent....still thinking about it....Thoughts?

1 comment:

JCallough said...

I think this is a unique identifier that you are blessed to possess. I especially love it when people stare at me because I'm different, think about it like this: you are opening a new window for them to view the world through just by being you!