Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm back with a case of the Mexicos

After a week in Mexico, I'm finally home. It has felt like I've been gone forever. Anyway, I brought home with me a nasty stomach bug. So, I apologize if this post doesn't make a lot of sense....I haven't eaten solid food for almost 2 days and the trip home was BRUTAL! At least I'm in the comfort of my own home. Here are the pictures that I promised. They definitely speak louder than my posts. Thank you for all for your support and I especially thank my wonderful husband who supports me in everything I do. I love you.

Day 1 of making pisos. This is our mostly women team riding in the back of the pickup with all the supplies: cement mixer, wheel barrows, buckets, shovels and great attitudes. From left to right: Izmerna, friend of the church; Mixie, piso supervisor and the muscles of the group; Lucie, girl from Pimpollo.
This is a great example of what the floors look like. We're just adding the cement on top of the dirt floors. This was our first piso and this is the kitchen area. Yes, it's outside.

This is just evidence that I did actually do some manual labor, for those of you who thought I'd be sitting around drinking margaritas.

This is what the average home looks like in Vicente Guerrero. Made out of tin, not like anything here in the States.

This was the last piso we did on Friday. This is the whole family....yes, it's a huge family. Not really uncommon here.

To learn more about my trip or to donate, visit http://missionoaxaca.org/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had such a great experience. Are you feeling better? Ready to go back? Can't wait to hear more and see more pics. Thanks for taking the time to blog and share all this.